Switching from YUI to JQueryComputing Jquery · YUI
Over those years I have also dabbled in other frameworks, including:
- ExtJS (mainly from my old work looking at theming it – and its heavily based upon YUI.) – I dislike the licensing on ExtJS so it really isn’t an option for me any more
- MooTools – Seems nice but never really gelled with it and I haven’t liked the documentation
- JQuery – have implemented some solutions over the last 6 months, and loved the productivity
Anyway, what I am currently developing really needed some strong enhancements, such as AJAX calls, better table views, nice widgets for date and time picking – the usual enhancements and I just felt that YUI was taking too long. My wishlist was:
- A Very productive library
- Good support from a community of active users
- Good documentation.
- Doesn’t impose made CSS changes
- Speed of implementation and download
I ended up with JQuery. After spending a day or so getting to grips and training myself properly with it, sure enough my productivity using it has reached heights to which I never got near with YUI (2.7 was the latest version I was using).
Another thing that I noticed was that I am actually writing a lot more productive code, rather than implementing bits of script that I change from all over the web. All the functions I need seem to be in the core library.
So right now, I am making many progressive enhancements to our App and it feels all the better for it.comments powered by Disqus